Slowing Down - Albert and Me
6169
post-template-default,single,single-post,postid-6169,single-format-standard,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,select-theme-ver-2.5,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-4.8.1,vc_responsive

Slowing Down

Kate-Beak-Up-Crafts - pregnant by Buttercrumble

Slowing Down

Kate-Beak-Up-Crafts - pregnant by Buttercrumble

Illustration by Buttercrumble. See bottom of post for more details

I think pregnancy is one of those weird and wonderful things that is slightly different for everyone and just when you think you’ve got it sussed it throws you another curveball.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m still loving it and I’m continually amazed that my body is growing a whole new person while I go about my day to day business. But it’s not like I thought it was going to be and even when I think I’ve got all of the signs and symptoms down, a new one pops up which makes me question just WHAT IS GOING ON IN THERE?

The nausea and exhaustion from my first trimester are a fading memory as I head into the final few weeks before my due date (with the little voice in my head reminding me that baby could actually come at any time now). I thought I’d escaped the cankles (nope) and that my boobs would grow (soz but no). The second trimester was awesome and kind of lulled me into a false sense of security about how pregnancy can be a dream. Everything went swimmingly at the scans and midwife appointments and I had no nasty side effects or conditions to report.

Fast forward a few months and I feel like I’m a body double for Sigourney Weaver in Alien and that at any given moment a Chestburster is going to fire its way out of my belly. Baby seems to spend most of his time tucked up in my ribs (on the right, mostly) which makes breathing seem like a chore and I’ve even woken myself up by being sick in my own mouth a few times during the night. Did I tell you how sexy I’m feeling right now?!

I also get a few random aches and pains down there and sciatica is SUCH a joy. If you pop round my house in the morning I’ll also do a pretty accurate turtle stuck on its back and trying to get up impression for you as I get out of bed. I love making people laugh so this nugget has slipped effortlessly into my repertoire.

I’m sorry if I sound like I’m moaning, I’m really not. OK maybe a bit about the not being able to breathe thing, although it means I get to avoid hills for a good reason now and no-one looks at me funny if I get the lift at work!

But all of this means that I’m finding that I have to slow down a lot in my everyday life. It’s weird when you realise your body just can’t/flat out won’t do the things that it used to do without a second thought because it’s far too busy with something way more important than keeping your dinner down at 3am. But I think that’s also kind of clever, even if it’s sole focus seems to be trying to make you get up to go for a wee five times a night.

I’ve not got long left at work now, just a handful more shifts, and then that’s me done for the best part of a year. This whole new part of my life is both exciting and scary because it’s the total unknown (not least thinking about the labour bit) but I’m looking forward to it so much. Even if I have to take it all a bit slower.

Do you have any top tips to make the last few weeks of pregnancy that bit more comfortable? If so I would love to hear them please!

Lots of nearly-there love,

signature

For more on the lovely Chloe and Abigail at Buttercrumble, who created the illustration to go with this post, please check out their social media links:

Chloe and Abigail are a design collective based in Leeds, West Yorkshire (but originally from Scarborough). They are inspired by mid-century design, the seaside and anything and everything cute! Chloe and Abigail are twin sisters which means they really love working together as it means they can combine ideas and offer suggestions for each piece they produce. The sisters are currently studying and are soon to complete their degree in Graphic Design and Communication. Chloe and Abigail – collectively known as Buttercrumble – use illustration and design to help develop brands, communicate a story or to bring smiles to people’s faces.

10 Comments
  • knitbakecultivate

Sep 10 at 11:47 am Reply

My advice, enjoy those last weeks! Take time to rest when you finish work and veg out watching movies, napping, shopping, crafting and catching up with friends. Get some books out of the library ready for all the feeding time ahead. I had a book on my feeding chair ready. I could read a few pages while I breastfed. It helped the time go quicker. I remember all the annoying things from the last weeks of pregnancy. I was so glad to get the baby out by the end!

• Kate

Sep 10 at 7:34 pm Reply

That’s some great advice, thank you! x

• Stéphanie

Sep 10 at 12:32 pm Reply

Lovely illustration Kate, I hope they’ll make another one of you and baby when he is here.

It’s a good idea to slow down now and rest as much as possible. Wishing you best of luck for the last few days at work and with the next beautiful phase of your life.

• Kate

Sep 10 at 7:36 pm Reply

Thanks Stephanie! I’m really looking forward to finishing work and the end of weird and wonderful shifts as it’s getting pretty uncomfortable sitting at a desk. I will definitely try to get lots of rest in! x

• Zoe Rose

Sep 10 at 2:46 pm Reply

Being pregnant always makes me sympathise with the elderly more- thinking you can do things like move without pain and then realising you have to walk super slow or stand up slowly is really odd!
    Seriously just enjoy the quiet, enjoy resting even if you can’t sleep, just know that life will be great and fun and challenging and never the same!

• Kate

Sep 10 at 7:38 pm Reply

I’ve never thought about it like that before but I know what you mean about sympathising with the elderly more! I hope you’re resting up too! x

• Alison Stevens

Sep 11 at 8:38 pm Reply

Hi Kate,
    Have enjoyed your blog for several months now. What can I say about the last few weeks before your baby is born? ( Both my boys were born in October). Well first of all, if you were intending having any more, make sure they are due in Jan/Feb so you are not at your biggest in the warmer months. I jest! ( I think!). No, just please make sure you have plenty of rest before the big day and as much as you can after, taking all offers of help if you can. Most of all don’t feel remotely guilty about doing this as you will spend the next several decades fretting and making sure your darling/s is/are fine. I know this sounds very glib, but it is true. My lovely lovely sons are now 20 and 22 and away from home, but I still spend inordinate amounts of time looking out for them, much to their great amusement. If you can end up with the same wonderful relationship that their father and I have with them now you will be chuffed, but for the first few months, whilst your babe is tiny, make the most of that rest and help.

Look forward to news of your arrival

Alison x

PS I think you are in Yorkshire? Both my boys are Yorkshire born and bred but strangely enough without the accent. Could it be the Birmingham/Bath parentage?!

• Kate

Sep 11 at 9:46 pm Reply

Hi Alison,
      Thanks so much for such a thoughtful and lovely comment and for reading my blog! I know exactly what you mean about being pregnant and big during the summer months – not the most enjoyable bit when you feel like you’re giving off the same amount of heat as a nuclear reactor! I’m definitely looking forward to lots of rest (and hopefully time to squeeze in a bit more crochet!) before baby arrives and I’ll try to accept offers of help.

And yes, I live in Yorkshire! I’m originally from Lancashire though so I’m not exactly sure what my accent is now, although my husband’s is definitely East Yorkshire 🙂 It will be interesting to see how baby’s accent turns out!

x

• Claire

Sep 13 at 6:29 pm Reply

Hear hear! I totally sympathise. I’m currently 30 weeks (my first baby) and had to slow to a shuffle walking home from work the other day. It’s funny how fast time is now going by. I’m excited and nervous, but as per the advice above I’m trying to relax and rest as much as poss while I still can.
    Claire xx

• Kate

Sep 13 at 7:13 pm Reply

Ah congratulations Claire! Do you know if you’re having a boy or a girl? I’ve found the last few weeks have really been flying by which is both nervewracking and exciting in equal measure. I can’t quite believe I will be 36 weeks (and almost full term!) in a couple of days! I hope you manage to find lots of time to relax and take it easy for the last couple of months x x